4. GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology
August, 6-28th 2015 in Cologne
The GESIS Summer School takes place annually in Cologne since August 2012. Our instructors and applicants come from a diverse set of countries and fields. The GESIS Summer School is unique in Europe with its focus on Survey Methodology and data collection.
The GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology offers high quality training in state of the art techniques and methods of survey research. It aims to:
- give a broad overview of survey methods;
- equip participants with essential skills in the design, planning, execution, documentation and quality assurance of surveys;
- provide an opportunity to deeply engage with the different tasks of survey design and implementation (such as questionnaire design, sampling, nonresponse and fieldwork monitoring), different survey modes (such as personal interviews, web surveys, and mixed-mode), and research designs involving surveys (such as mixed methods, factorial surveys, longitudinal surveys and cross-national surveys);
- provide participants with good networking opportunities, a supportive social environment, and an exciting time in Cologne.
Summer School prerequisites
In addition to the prerequisites mentioned in the syllabi of the courses, all Summer School participants are expected to meet the following general criteria:
- have basic knowledge of empirical research methods;
- have a good command of English as the Summer School will entirely be held in English.
Participation fees and Registration
2 ECTS points
4 ECTS points
*If you book and pay for a course by April 30, you will receive a 50 Euro discount off the one-week course fees!
Please see the terms and conditions for our cancellation and reimbursement policy.
Although the registration deadline (May 31st) has passed, you can still register for available places. If a course is fullly booked, please place yourself on the waiting list. Please do not forget to upload your proof of status in the respective field in the online registration form. Travel costs, accommodation and meals are not included. Please make your own arrangements. Participants completing one-week course have the opportunity to gain European Credit Transfer System points (ECTS). More information on ECTS can be found here.
If you need an accommodation, we strongly recommend that you book it as early as possible in advance. You will find a list with hotel recommendations, information about Cologne as well as on how to get to GESIS here.
Short courses are two-day courses aimed at updating participants’ skills to better fulfill the entrance requirements of some one-week courses or at providing instruction in a specialized area. Short courses consist of about 6 hours of instruction per day.
One-week courses consist of 4 hours of in-class instruction a day, either in the morning (9:00-13:00) or in the afternoon (14:00-18:00). Outside of these hours, participants are expected to take part in guided individual or group study time for around 2 hours per day (details for each course are provided in the course descriptions). Given the workload of both in-class instruction and study time, participants can register only for one course per week.
Besides courses, participants are welcome to attend evening talks by experts in survey methodology and, thanks to our sponsors, take part in an exciting social and cultural program. Plenary and social programs will be shortly announced.